Thursday, September 3, 2015

Carrot Cake Cupcakes!

Well, it has been almost a year since I have posted....  I have definitely been slacking, but have relieved some encouragement to post the recipes I've used and share what I have been making!  

This past week, I posted on IG that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.  The previous week, life gave me bananas and I made banana bread.  This week, life gave me carrots.  (And by life, I mean they were left over at school.)  I mumbled to myself, "What am I going to do with all these carrots?"  Some of my students chimed in and said, "Make carrot cake!!"  

I thought about it and decided carrot muffins might be a good idea.  As I searched online, I came to a recipe by Ina Garten.  I absolutely love her chocolate cake recipe, so it had to be good, right?  I glanced and it had 4 stars and over 300 reviews.  

I started making it and somethings (amount of oil and bake time) had me wondering... but I decided to follow the oil recipe and cut back on the bake time.  If there is one thing I absolutely hate, it is a dried, over baked cake!!

For some reason, these were meh after they cooled, but a little better/okay the next day.  They got good reviews at work though!  Haha.  I only had cream cheese that expired in Feb 2015, so I didn't frost them.  

Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
adapted from the food network

Ingredients

2 c sugar
1 1/3 c vegetable oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 extra-large eggs
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 c grated carrots (less than 1 pound)




Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat the sugar, oil, and vanilla together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add the grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts to the remaining flour, mix well, and add to the batter. Mix until just combined.

Line muffin pans with paper liners. Scoop the batter into cups until each is 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees F 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack.

No comments: