Sunday, November 1, 2015

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I have expressed many times how much I LOVE pumpkin roll, but they are just a pain to make!  The rolling of it is just so complicated to me.  With the help of my good friend NJW (he helps me come up with some great ideas!), I decided to try to make them into whoopie pies!

I have a silicone cupcake pan that the whoopie pies pop out of pretty easily.  I have made spraying the pan and not spraying the pan, and it has come out fine both ways, but definitely spray if you are using a metal cupcake pan.  I also use a small cookie scoop to distribute the batter.  I have made this with an actual whoopie pie pan and I used a large cookie scoop to distribute the batter evenly.


libby's pumpkin roll

I double the pumpkin roll recipe (but not the filling recipe) to use up the whole (15oz) can of pumpkin.

Cake--
1.5 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
6 large eggs
2 c sugar
1-1/3 cup pumpkin

Filling--
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sifted powder sugar
6 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

For cake--
Preheat oven to 375

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl.
Beat eggs, sugar, in a large bowl. beat in pumpkin.
Stir in flour mixture.

Bake for 9-10 minutes (both sizes)
Cool on wire rack

For filling--
Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.

Assemble the whoopie pies by piping the filling on one side and placing one on top.



No comments: